Nearly 200 Americans who were evacuated from the coronavirus outbreak zone in China might be released soon from quarantine at a U.S. Air Force base in California.
All Americans returning from Hubei province, where Wuhan city is located, were required to undergo a mandatory 14 day quarantine, and when that’s up, they can go if determined to be healthy, a leading U.S. health official said.
The fast-spreading outbreak has killed over 1,000 in China, where nearly 43,000 cases are reported. Another 319 confirmed cases have been confirmed in 24 other countries, 13 of which are in the United States.
The first group of U.S. citizens to be evacuated from the coronavirus-stricken Chinese city of Wuhan are mostly U.S. State Department employees and their families. They were flown by government-chartered cargo jet to March Air Reserve Base in Riverside County about 60 miles (97 km) east of Los Angeles.
“They are being assessed to make sure they remain symptom-free and we hope they’ll be released to travel home today,” Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington.
Read more at Reuters:
Nearly 200 Americans evacuated from China set to be freed from quarantine [February 11, 2020]
FILE PHOTO: The ultrastructural morphology exhibited by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), which was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China, is seen in an illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. January 29, 2020. Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAM/CDC/Handout.
Recession fears are spreading, along with COVID-19. The coronavirus outbreak and unknowns about preparedness caused massive financial losses this week. The Dow closed down 350 points. The S&P 500 dropped for the seventh day in a row, and posted its biggest drop in a single week since the 2008 financial crisis. More from Reuters: The […]
Amazon bans 1 million coronavirus products for false claims, addresses price-gouging for masks and sanitizer
Amazon.com has banned the sale of over a million products in the last few weeks for inaccurate coronavirus health claims, the company told Reuters on Thursday.
The world just isn’t made for lefties. From baseball gloves to can openers to credit card readers with slots on the right side, the 10 percent of the planet with a dominant left hand long ago realized they’re trapped in a world crafted by the other 90 percent. Among all those indignities, there may be […]
It’s not an exaggeration to place Singer and the Singer sewing machine among the most recognized heritage brand names and products in American business history. Back in the 1850s, entrepreneur Isaac Merritt Singer seized on a way to build the first practical sewing machine for use in the home — and to say American housewives […]
There are as many methods for creating on the web as there are creators to build them. But no matter what programming language or venue is a coder’s particular arena of choice, it never hurts to have the cross-disciplinary skills to try other avenues if needed that may better serve your app or web experience. […]